Friday, February 4, 2011

San Benito County Birding: Update on Eastern Phoebe



Howdy, Birders.

This afternoon from 3:07 to 3:32, I tried to get a photo of the EASTERN PHOEBE on Santa Ana Valley Road in San Benito County. To my surprise, it was nowhere to be seen when I first arrived. After finding a SAY'S PHOEBE nearby, I began to search a small orchard in the area. A BLACK PHOEBE was calling loudly from the orchard. Then, I noticed the EASTERN PHOEBE, sitting on the very top of some leafless trees in the front yard of the white home. This was closer to the 3.02 mile marker. The phoebe was making a soft call note. Below, is my photograph.

It was surprising how many other birds were around in this sort of habitat: NUTTAL'S WOODPECKER, LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE, KESTREL, WHITE-TAILED KITE, WESTERN SCRUB JAY, CALIFORNIA QUAIL, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, HOUSE FINCH, WESTERN MEADOWLARK, and a CASSIN'S KINGBIRD near house #2200. My photograph is below.
See you out there!
Happy Trails,
Debi Shearwater
San Benito County Birding

No comments: