Monday, January 16, 2012

SAN BENITO COUNTY BIRDING:GLAUCOUS GULL, JANUARY 14, 2012

Howdy, Birders,
I've been lagging with my San Benito County birding recently, working on other projects. However, last Saturday, I buzzed out for an hour. Found this first cycle (SY) GLAUCOUS GULL amongst a flock of 500+ gulls. This is a rare gull in San Benito County. As far as I know, it is the fourth county record, and the first photographed record. The last reported record was 6 January 1999 at San Felipe Lake by John Sterling and John Luther. Amazingly, I received a report from Peter Colasanti that he found a first year GLAUCOUS GULL at San Felipe Lake on 15 January. Perhaps, it is this individual, or not. The flock that I saw also had at least on THAYER'S GULL and one GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL. Best place to try to find the Glaucous Gull is San Felipe Lake which is on the north end of the county. Birding here, is extremely difficult and dangerous. The only reasonable place to stop is at the highway call box, and I only recommend it from the eastbound direction, otherwise it is necessary to cross traffic. Be aware: many fatal car accidents have occurred near this location. There is a pair of BALD EAGLES nesting here, just over the county line. The nest is in Santa Clara County. I would greatly appreciate any reports of the eagles or gulls.
And, for those of you who are gull lovers, if you have an opinion on the species, below, facing away from the photographer, ring out!
The GLAUCOUS GULL was a new county bird for me!
Happy Trails,
Debi Shearwater
San Benito County Birding

No comments: