Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Winter Wings Festival


Winter Wings Festival
Howdy, Birders,

Recently, I returned from the Winter Wings Festival at Klamath Falls, Oregon where I was an exhibitor for Shearwater Journeys, Inc.  The weather was beyond spectacular — sunny skies every day! The skies were filled with flocks of thousands upon thousands of geese and ducks, their calls punctuating the still air. Sunsets, such as the one below, were gorgeous.
     
Following the Scenic Volcano Route, I encountered a nice herd of native Pronghorn.
Raptors were everywhere, including this American Kestrel feeding on a rodent. 


Tundra Swans can be found in the thousands, with some small fields harboring more than 3,000 birds.
     
In the small town of Doris, near the California-Oregon border, I found this Evening Grosbeak, pigging out at a feeder.
Evening Grosbeak at Doris, CA
And, of course, hundreds of Bald Eagles were present!
Near the town of Keno, OR, I stumbled upon a very large flock of Mountain Chickadees.
It is a big winter for Rough-legged Hawks, and I saw many of them. 
It was a fun time meeting new birders and connecting with a few of my good friends, as well. 
Happy Trails,
Debi Shearwater
Shearwater Journeys

No comments: