Friday, July 31, 2009

CALIFORNIA IS COOKIN' WITH PETRELS!!

Howdy, Seabirders,

Whoaa, what a day— history in the making! Look for a full report tomorrow morning. For now, I will give only the highlights of Shearwater Journeys' July 31 pelagic trip from Monterey:

COOK'S PETRELS- 138!
BULLER'S SHEARWATER-1, first of the fall
LONG-TAILED JAEGER- 115, in flocks of 11-18, circling over the boat, as well as sitting on the water
SOUTH POLAR SKUA- 3, first of the fall
SABINE'S GULL- 32, first of the fall
RED-CROSSBILL- 1, in the wharf parking lot (ah, I couldn't leave this one out)

PRIMARILY THIS IS AN ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT A CHASE TRIP FOR COOK'S AND STEJNEGER'S PETRELS. HERE ARE THE DETAILS:

SUNDAY, AUGUST 2
DEPARTING FISHERMAN'S WHARF, MONTEREY 
BE ON THE WHARF NO LATER THAN 6:45 AM. (This means arriving in the parking lot at 6:30 am)
POSSIBLE RETURN TIME: 4 PM (In view of Mike Force's recent report, we may stay out longer- please be prepared, and do NOT sign up, if you cannot stay out longer)
BRING: LUNCH, WARM CLOTHES, SUNSCREEN, WATERPROOF PANTS (if possible)
COST: approximately: $145 per person, no discounts. Please bring cash. 

RESERVATIONS: are ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. Please contact me at: 650-401-7236 from 7 am until 7 pm, tomorrow. OR, by email. First-come, first served basis. I am not at my office number of 831-637-8527. If you left a message on that number, I will not get it for the August 2 trip. Please call me on the correct number, or email me. 

PLEASE NOTE: This is a hardcore chase trip. We will not be stopping for any of the common birds, or whales. It is strictly my call on this. 

I will write more, tomorrow. However, I would sincerely like to thank all of the folks who joined us on today's trip, especially the leaders and Chris of Chris's Fishing Shop. I thank Mike Force for his invaluable communication regarding the Cook's Petrels, both yesterday and today. 

May the Force be with you! 

Debra

Debra Shearwater
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527

**Antarctica, South Georgia, & The Falkland Islands, January 5-24, 2010* 
Shearwater Journeys' Exclusive Charter
Waiting list available





No comments: